As part of our Million Jobs campaign, we are working to double the number of businesses that employ apprentices. Of the 4.8 million businesses in the UK, 100,000 currently offer apprenticeships. We are campaigning to double this to 200,000.
What have Lib Dems already done to create more apprenticeships?
- In Coalition we have helped create 1.2 million apprenticeships since the election. There are now more apprentices than ever before and 86% more than under Labour.
- We are giving 40,000 businesses grants of £1,500 for each young unemployed person they take on as an apprentice and awarding £550m to colleges to improve their facilities for apprentices.
- Apprenticeship policy in Scotland is controlled by the Scottish Government. But the SNP is allowing Scotland to fall behind on apprenticeships – numbers actually fell last year.
- Scottish Liberal Democrats are pushing the SNP to create more apprenticeships in Scotland.
- Apprenticeship policy in Wales is controlled by the Welsh Government. But Labour has overseen a 17% fall in apprenticeships in Wales since 2007.
- Welsh Liberal Democrats are pushing the Labour Government to reverse the decline in apprenticeships in Wales and create a fund to highlight the benefits of apprenticeships to businesses and young people.
How you going to double the number of businesses that offer apprentices?
- A key part of increasing apprenticeships is to increase their awareness among businesses and young people. That is what our campaign hopes to achieve.
- Our MPs have set themselves the challenge of creating 100 apprenticeships or training opportunities in 100 days in their constituencies. And nationally, Lib Dems are raising the profile of apprenticeships across the UK and working in the Coalition to improve standards.
Why should I back the Lib Dem campaign?
- Apprentices are a great way to give young people the skills they need for their career. On average, apprentices earn £100,000 more over their career than less qualified workers
- Apprenticeships also help businesses. Over 80% of businesses who employ apprentices agree they make their workforce more productive – if people back our campaign, it will make more businesses aware of these benefits to encourage them to create opportunities.
- Demand for apprenticeships is high, so we are pushing at an open door – the number of apprenticeships has already doubled in the last 5 years and there are 11 applications per vacancy. If we can double the number of businesses employing apprentices, we will help more young people into work.